Tuesday 11 October 2011

Anglesey - beside the sea

Anglesey was the replacement for our cancelled weekend at Donington Park.  It's a long way from home but I knew it was a popular destination - there are good reviews of the circuit on forums and in the press.  The circuit was re-built a few years ago and while the facilities are very basic (no pits and a portakabin for Race Control), the circuit is excellent.  We were warned of two corners in advance of venturing out for the first time on the test day: Rocket is a blind left-hander which follows the fastest section of the circuit and Peel opens to reveal the most spectacular view in Motorsport.  Such was the shock of seeing miles of Welsh coastline as I turned the corner for the first time, I literally took an extra breath - then remembered there's a tricky corner coming and had to break sharply...!

Testing saw us out for four sessions and while the track was dry, the wind was very keen.  My wife, Claire, braved the day to join me on the Friday before our race weekend - and spent her day trying to shelter from the worst the weather had to offer!

The circuit is quite technical with elevation changes, off-camber corners and corners requiring a brave commitment.  The advice we received suggesting we'd struggle to get the most from our time seemed true - it was very difficult to work out the best lines through the corners.  I changed a few settings during the day and settled on anti-roll bar and tyre choices.



The next morning (Saturday, 24th September) and the weather had changed: no wind but wet.  Come qualifying, the rain had stopped but the track was still damp.  Venturing out, it was clear the the track would be slippy but as there was no more rain, it was likely to dry.  Early on, I gained confidence and cut time from my lap - I eventually started to run close to Spencer Horgan which I thought might help get me a slipstream.  When I returned to parc ferme after the chequered flag came out, I was the first to arrive - I'd been the first to take the flag and missed one lap compared to everyone else.  I end up with 14th fastest time - I knew I was quicker than the time suggested so I knew I was likely to have an exciting race.


Later that day and the rain was gone along with the damp surface.  Less treaded tyres were put on and I lined up on the grid for Race One.  The plan was to buck my trend for poor starts and keep out the way of those struggling to get round the first corner - a fast left-hander.  Amazingly, the plan kind of worked - I get a reasonable start and got to the second corner in one piece.  Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress up the order.

As the race progressed, I had a good battle with three or four cars and had to avoid a few spinning cars (at one point, I narrowly missed Ross).  In the end, I had some space for myself and set about tracking down the 8th place Ian Davis.  I caught him but on the second to last corner of the race, I made a slight mistake and allowed him some space.  We cross the line near one-another and I get 9th place - making five places in the race is a good result.



The next day for Race Two, and the weather had changed - again.  No rain but the wind was up.  I start 9th on the grid and start in a similar way to the first race - a couple of laps in and I'm free of the chasing pack and make my way past Ian Davis - up to 7th.  I keep an eye on my mirrors and see there are some battles going on behind.  As the last lap approaches, Jim Needham has made some good progress after a problem in race one, and gets in my tow down the long straight.  I try to keep him behind me but I lose sight of him.  It's only once we're on the fastest part of the circuit and I realise he's alongside me on the grass.  He takes his chance at Rocket but runs a little wide on exit so I pass him back.  He follows me through the rest of the lap and a yellow flag on the last corner stops his progress allowing me to run untroubled across the line in 7th place.

Having finished 7th from a starting position of 14th after Qualifying, I'm happy with the way things turned out.  A massive thank you to my wife, Claire, for coming along and putting up with the weather for three days!  I love you so very much.  Additionally, thanks to my Mum, Dad and Brother John for trekking all the way to Anglesey.  Thank you to Mum and Dad for footing the bill for the excellent B&B.




All pictures from Rachel Horgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment