Tuesday 20 September 2011

Qualifying and two races in a day at Oulton Park

Oulton Park in Cheshire has a great deal to offer - it's a great challenge through some great countryside, it has some good facilities (as all Motorsport Vision circuits do) and spectators are able to see a great deal of the best parts of the circuit.  British Touring Cars visit as well and a variety of other high-profile series.

Historically, it has attracted star drivers to the big races held at the demanding circuit.

One of the drawbacks to having the circuit set in the countryside is that there are strict planning restrictions relating to noise coming from the track.  Therefore, we were forced to have Qualifying and two races crammed into one day.

Having tested the previous day, I was as ready as I could be for the day.

Qualifying started early in the day and just before our 20 minute stint, I spoke with Jon Mortimer.  We would try and work together in order to make the most of our time on circuit.  Our plan was to try and drag each other round, getting a slipstream when appropriate.  What we hadn't bargained for was Peter Bassage being just ahead of us and we regularly catch him.  In the end, this may have offered us some help as Jon got himself into 2nd position and I found myself in 8th.

Race one soon came along and I lined up on the left of the track.  Sadly, a poor start and I lost a few places off the line.  Keeping out of trouble at the start and I felt a lot quicker than those ahead - in fact, the cars immediately in front of me were holding me up.  I continued in this position for a few laps but eventually I made a mistake and dropped off the back of the pack.  For some reason after this point, I seemed to struggle to get back on terms - the car seemed to change its feel and ultimately I finished a disappointing 11th.





No time to question the performance as Race Two soon came round.  Just as we were about to head out on to the circuit to take the start, the rain started - gently at first...

Off the line, I continue my poor form and lose a couple of places.  The rain continues and I get into a rhythm.  As the surface gets wetter, cars ahead start to struggle.  I make an effort to drive smoothly (something I'm generally OK at!) as others start to slide off the track!  After a drag race with James Needham up the hill at the back of the circuit, I'm up to 5th position.  The damp conditions are suiting me and I'm feeling confident.



A few corners later and Aaron Head (easily the best in the wet) come past me.  He'd been involved in an earlier incident and was recovering well.  I make it difficult for him and his compromised line through a corner has me right on his tail...  In my over-enthusiasm to keep close, I'm just too early on the throttle and the back of the car slips wide.  I save the spin but end up on the inside of the track watching several of the cars I'd passed going away from me.  I'm really angry with myself - in fact I punch the steering wheel - but try to close the gap in front.

Trouble at the first corner where as the track starts to dry, I mis-judge the grip available, run wide and spin on to the grass.  My tyres are soaked and cold after this and it takes a while to get back up to speed.  This has knocked my confidence and in the last corner of the last lap, I lose another place to Spencer Horgan putting back to 13th.

A really disappointing day results-wise but a really enjoyable day all the same.

An added bonus was that I had perhaps the biggest following of support I've had so far - my ever-present wife and parents were joined by my Brother John and his family.  Additionally, Ian (my D.O.P.E) made the long return trip with Holly (sadly, 'The Other' Claire couldn't join him - she was looking after June...), Claire's Dad and Uncle came along and a good friend from work, Rhys popped in with a friend of his.

I'm really thankful for the support and the effort people have made to help me.


Next up - Anglesey on the 23rd, 24th and 25th September.  All pics from Rachel Horgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment