Tuesday 20 September 2011

Oulton Park - Been on a trackday, now a test day

Oulton Park stood in for a cancelled Silverstone trackday earlier in the year and I really enjoyed the circuit.  Experience showed that in the wet, it's a very tricky place so it was great to see that the Friday test day (on the 2nd September) prior to racing was dry.

Just about everyone was present and I shared a garage with Wes Fox - while our wives went shopping at Cheshire Oaks...

The first session of the day and with knowledge of the circuit and a renewed trust in the front of the car resulting from the Green anti-roll bar inherited from Jon Mortimer, I felt confident.  That confidence lasted one corner.  Understeer - with a bit more understeer.

The Green ARB wasn't working for me and I was missing corner apex after corner apex.  The only way to make it was to slow the car more than I felt necessary.  On coming back to the pits, I advised John it wasn't working and we both decided to stay with the middle (Red) ARB.

Our sessions were spread throughout the day and ultimately I ended with a reasonable time compared with some of the other drivers - but still over a second off the best pace.

The day stayed dry, it would be nice if the race day was the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment