Sunday 20 November 2011

Silverstone - so this is it...?

Silverstone circuit appears twice on our 2011 race calendar and book-ends our season.  Earlier in the year we’d used the full GP circuit and I had managed to claim a good qualifying position but suffered from some over-enthusiasm in the first race.  On this occasion, there were a few differences – not least that we were using the International South circuit, the configuration usually reserved for experience days.  In fact, we were the first ever users of this configuration and with an Historic event using the National circuit, Silverstone was making the most of things!

An additional consequence of using this circuit was that we would be using the new pits – the Silverstone Wing.  Formula One and GT Racing had used them before but never a club event.  The facilities were built amid mounting pressure on the circuit owners to improve the facilities or face losing the F1 GP.  There has been some criticism of the view of the pits but the new complex is amazing – loads of space, clean and well built.  In fact the only problem was access from the main gate is lengthy…

Friday, 21st October was set aside as a Track Day run by Book-a-Track.  This format allows passengers but no timing (Test Days don’t allow passengers but do allow timing).  From next year, Book-a-Track hopes to run ‘Trest’ Days (basically a bundling of the rules for both).  This new word was coined on the Friday morning briefing – if the OUP come looking for the first published use of the word, I’d appreciate a mention…

The sessioned day ran like any other – we had been on much of the circuit before but cut across from Abbey to the top of the Hanger Straight.  In reality, this meant that only one of the corners was new…  But the day was well-spent learning it (as it runs onto the longest straight, the exit is vital), and changing a few things on the car.  Jon again leant me his Green Anti-roll Bar and I found it the best set-up.

As timing wasn’t allowed, it was difficult to get an idea of relative pace.  I spent some time driving near other cars (notably Pete Bassage – a session where I learnt a huge amount) but this still wasn’t a gauge of competitiveness.

Therefore, come Qualifying on Saturday morning (22nd October), and with two races later in the day, I had little idea of how I’d go.  Previously, I’d been able to make good progress at the track – I’m brave round the faster corners – so I felt confident.  I put on fresh tyres (they’d been scrubbed in but were pretty new) and set out for 20 minutes Qualifying.  Myself and Jon again decided to work together and after a few laps of getting heat in the tyres (amazing the difference new rubber makes), the brakes warm (essential for being able to stop reliably) and getting space for myself (overtaking or slowing as appropriate), I popped my first decent lap in.

At under 1m20sec, it gave me some confidence of a good starting position but we still had plenty of time left.  I saw Jon in my mirrors and over the next lap slowed enough for him to catch me.  As he got near, I made sure I kept ahead of him and after a lap or two, waved him past.  The next lap was spent in his tow and as I crossed the line, I found I’d gone even quicker than before.  The last few laps were frustrating as we caught some slower cars but on returning to the pits, I found my time was good enough for third on the grid!  My best ever qualifying position.  Clearly, the plan with Jon had worked – he ended up in pole position…

As a result of this being my last race, I had some stickers made acknowledging the people who had done the most to help me through the year – on three panels around the car, I had mentions for people including my family, friends and some of the other competitors.  It also included mentions for a few of the companies that have helped me on my way, photographers who have documented my racing and even my boss.

With everything in a day, again, there was little time to do anything with the newly liveried car.  It was a bit odd coming round to line up on the grid for the start and seemed to be waiting for an age before the lights came on.  Perhaps too long.  I spent too long thinking about how best to get off the line and as the lights went out, I suffered from perhaps my worst start of the year.  The wheels were spinning and once I got going, I think I was perhaps down towards 10th  The first corner’s very quick and I lined up calmly in the order – as I’d been reminded before the start (by Wes Fox), I was quick and could make my way up the order in the event of a poor start.  At the first real braking point of the track, I stayed on the normal line while other cars tried to cover one another.  I ended up going round the outside of some cars and up behind Ross.  On the run towards the top of Hanger, I went to tuck in behind him hoping to get a tow down the straight.  At the last second, I felt confident enough to pass him and swept up his inside and ahead down the straight – following Kurt and catching him.  I’d made my way back up to 7th and thought that keeping close to Kurt would help make the appropriate progress back towards the front.

As we came to Vale, I lined up to challenge Kurt but a yellow flag and safety car board was put out by the marshalls.  I held station behind him and slowed – clearly there had been a serious incident at the start.  Despite the flags, I was overtaken into Club by John Toshack – he clearly hadn’t seen the flags.  I opened the gap to him as I slowed but coming on to the start straight, he slammed his brakes on as he realised what was happening.  I didn’t have time to slow and swerved to go round him but as I did, the wayward Adam White hit the back of my car (I’d glimpsed him in my mirror off the circuit and sideways out of club).  This sent me into a slide and I hit the wall backwards, coming to a rest in almost the exact same place as I’d started the race just a lap before.

The consequenses hit me instantly and I burst into tears.  I was out of the race, and wasn’t going to have a car capable of even entering the second race later in the day.


Marshalls pushed the car off the track and that was it.  Over.




The safety car had been brought out because of a prang at the start – in fact, one chap hurt his ribs.  I accompanied him to the medical centre (a request that I went came from the marshalls) but we both returned to the pits after a quick check.  On my return, Caterham had confirmed what I already knew – the car was beyond fixing at the track.  For the second time this year, Adam had run into me and done significant damage to the car...  By the way, Adam contributes nothing to the repairs, loss of entry fees or significant insurance excess...


My last race.  My best Qualifying position.  Barely a lap completed.


I was well supported at this event – my Mum and Dad, my Brother John and his family all came to see me.  My wife’s Dad and Uncle were also there.  ‘The Other’ Claire and Ian were joined by Andrew Kettle.  I had Simon Cox and his significant other come to watch the racing.  Of course, my Wife, Claire was on hand to offer sympathy and support (and more than a choice swear-word or two regarding how I ended up out of the race!) – I love her very much for helping make everything feel OK.

For the few days after going out so disappointingly, I did a lot of crying but ultimately I was fine even though the car wasn’t.  There were some high-profile people in Motorsport who didn’t fare so well immediately before the weekend and during it.  I’m amazingly thankful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Hard luch bro, thats a really tough break. Iv'e read you blog since the build and im still saving for a go at it myself. Stick with it your'e getting quicker!

    ReplyDelete