Sunday 3 October 2010

A fraught day at Mallory Park

The last race of the Pistonheads.com Caterham Academy 2010.  It's all gone so quickly and with my Wife and Folks with me yet again, I was looking forward to the finale.  In fact, I have recorded the level of support they've given throughout the year by naming them as my main sponsors in the race programmes.

I'd had a track day and test day at Mallory so was confident of a decent day on Sunday, 19th September 2010.  A good result would see me take 6th in the Championship - a poor one would see me finish 8th.  I was joined by many of my family and friends which was a great boost - while driving round the circuit, I could see them every time and it spurred me on.


Qualifying took place in the morning and having recognised the need to keep close to other cars in order to gain from their slipstream, I stuck with one of the quicker cars early on.  However, Mike Hart was trying to make room for himself behind slower cars and I kept finding myself alongside him along the back straight and slowing both him and myself.  I decided to try and use two or three cars in a lap to aid my progress.  Sadly, this didn't work either as passing cars around a lap compromised my line.  At this point, I spotted Jon Mortimer in my mirrors and slowed enough for him to catch me.  As he approached, I increased my pace and dragged him round for a couple of laps.  I hoped he'd recognise this and repay the favour.  I let him past me and I followed in his wake in order to set a competitive lap-time.

The result was I took 4th place on the grid (my best of the year) with Jon just behind me.  For the race, I'd have an unimpeded view of the circuit to the first corner - a benefit resulting from the staggered formation of the grid.

Rachel Horgan got this shot on the grid...  That's me on the right.


At the start, I gained on the leader and found myself alongside the pole-sitter, Merlin Edwards (who was now in third) but this compromised my line round the long right-hander of Gerrard's.  Having to go the long way round, gave following cars the opportunity to stay close and their advantage in the slipstream was obvious as I approached the Esses - I fell to 7th.  On the approach to the hairpin, I stayed tight to the inside and tried some later braking.  It came to very little but I recognised it may prove an advantage later in the race.


This leading group of seven or eight cars remained consistent and jostled for the lead for a few laps.  I never saw the front but knew that if I could stay in touch, I'd have a chance of getting something from the race.  I traded blows (literally!) with other cars - a bent front wing-stay, a couple of cracks to the rear wings (including getting a shove which smashed the lower rear of my right-hand wing) but the racing was good.  At one point Mike Hart forced me onto the grass as I tried a pass but it was half a lap later that the ultimate incident took place...



On the approach to Gerrard's, I found myself approaching very quickly in the slipstream of Mike again.  I tried to stay on his outside but ended up on the less used (and dirtier) part of the track.  I slid wider and touched the grass.  Next thing I know, I'm sliding noisily into the gravel.  Dreams of 6th in the championship were carried away with the dust cloud.  As soon as I came a halt, another problem, I need to finish the race to get an upgrade signature on my licence.  If I could tease the car out, I'd get to the finish and get a point and the appropriate squiggle.  I restart the engine, and try to move out of the stones.  As soon as I start moving, the tyres spin and I start to sink...

I'd had a similar problem in the snow the previous winter so tried the same technique to get myself free...  I put the car in reverse to drive up the hole the rear tyres had made in the gravel - then put the car in second so that as the car moved forward back into the hole, built some momentum and moved on.  It worked and with a wave to the marshalls, I continued on my way.

Sadly, despite gaining a second a lap on the cars in front, the gap was just too big and I finished last.  I needed another car nearby to drag me round.



So I finish the season in 8th and I've had a great time.  It has been a great experience - not a day goes by without having to think about racing or deal with something.  It is all-absorbing and for that, I'm thankful to my ever-present (and super-tolerant) Wife, Claire.

No comments:

Post a Comment