Monday 13 September 2010

The Future's Bright - The Overalls are Orange

As part of the Academy, we're encouraged to do a day of Marshalling.  This gives us 5 points in the Championship.  An additional bonus is that we are able to get a signature on our licence which counts towards our upgrade to National A.  Marshalls are a group of volunteers who stand on the side of the circuit (and other locations) and are responsible for looking after any car and driver that runs into trouble during a race event.  They generally wear bright orange so they stand out.  They stand for a full day and may have nothing to do - but when they do, they will come on to the circuit even if cars are still racing and help clear the problem.  I've had the misfortune to meet some marshalls during a race and they were very helpful and good-humoured.

So on Saturday, 11th September, I'd arranged to do a day at the Qualifying day of the Le Mans series visit to Silverstone.  I'd arranged to do the same day as Wes Fox and we met Jon and Paul Mortimer at sign-in.

On arrival, we were given timetables and vouchers for lunch.  We then sat with the others who were doing a 'Trial Day' of Marshalling - an opportunity to have a go as a trainee with no obligation to do it permanently - for our briefing.  The morning was spent touring the facilities that control a race - incident teams on-track, the medical centre, the control room and a working marshalls post.  This was excellent - us drivers were desperate to watch the cars (particularly the Le Mans cars - including Peugeot, Audi and Aston Martins) and we had a view of the circuit un-impeded by the barriers.

After lunch we were assigned posts to spend the afternoon helping.  I was given 'Club out' which was on the outside of the circuit at the furthest point away from the pits.  It gave me a good view of the new pits complex being built between Club and Abbey.



I saw the Le Mans Series Qualifying, an historic car race, a Radical race and a round of the Speed Championship.  I was asked to stay off the circuit if a car needed assistance - only come on to the circuit if directed by Incident Officer, Dale Whiteman.  As it is, the only time I left the post was between sessions to sweep the circuit of any stones brought on to the surface by the cars.

Frankly, it was a bit boring.  The other chaps on the post were entertaining and I got to watch all the cars without looking through a barrier.  However, some of the races were dull and as all I could do was step out to sweep, it was up to 90 minutes between doing anything.  Some cars did retire nearby but I wasn't asked to get involved.

After the 'action', I had to take a trip back to the control centre to get a signature on my licence.

Job done.  I would like to do it again but I may consider a smaller venue as I'd hope to be more involved.

Thank you to Dale for looking after me - perhaps my future will be orange but for now, it remains in a white race-suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment