Thursday 9 September 2010

Lovely Mallory Park - A 'Gentleman's' Test Day

Mallory Park near Hinckley is a great little circuit.  You turn into the track facility through a little village having wound your way through a narrow road from just round the corner from Caterham Midlands.

It is short but quick - a lap here is done in under a minute.

On Wednesday, 8th September, and in preparation for our race on Sunday, 19th September, a few Caterham 'Academics' took up the chance to join Mallory's Open Test morning.  I knew this was available to any driver of a racing car but I was shocked at what else joined us on the day...

A Metro - spent most of its time on three wheels!
A Toyota MR2
A BMW 3-Series race car...

An Aston Martin DB(4 or5) racing car - it's difficult to be sure...
An Aston Martin DP214 - a replica...?  If my research is correct - there's only one left in the World...
A Ford GT40 - another replica?
A Ferrari - a historical racing car but don't know what it is
A Lola T70 - again, was it a replica?

Anyway - the sight and SOUND was amazing and I'd have happily spent the day looking at the cars and watching them go round the track.  Thankfully, I got the chance to see them on circuit from the driving seat of my car.

Three 30 minute sessions went well and I learnt a bit more about the circuit.  In the third session, I drove round with Wes Fox and took the video below (thanks again to Mike Linzey for lending me his camera - mine's on order).

No comments:

Post a Comment