Thursday 8 July 2010

Track day at the Rock

A perk of being part of the Caterham Academy is that they carry a little weight when it comes to some Motorsport-related companies.  I get a discount on my insurance, I get a discount on my racewear and when Caterham say they want to book a track-day, they book the whole thing.

On 12th June 2010, Caterham had pulled their influential weight with Book-a-Track and block-booked their advertised day for Caterham Motorsport competitors only.  I feel for the chap in the Clio (I suspect he'd been suitably 'looked-after' for having his place cancelled) that had booked a place but it made for a good day - in sessions throughout the day with other Academy entrants.

We were given 20 minutes in each hour and in one of my early sessions I took some instruction.  Frankly, my instructor sounded like he had the perfect job: he was a rent-a-driver for people with historic cars who wanted an additional pot of skill for racing their pride-and joys.  If he's reading this, I'd like a job.

The rest of the day consisted of 20 minute sessions and I got to learn the track that I'll be racing on in a few weeks for my first race.

I shared the day with Wes (again!) in a garage along with Fulvio Mussi who Wes has 'hired' to give him some coaching.  Fulvio is a great chap - he looked after a friend of mine - Agnes - when she competed in Formula Woman a few years ago.

There aren't any pictures to put on here but I should be able to direct you to Rachel Horgan again - just look for the Rockingham Track Day pictures.  It would be good if you could take a look at her charity donation site in aid of the Richard Burns Foundation where she'd like to encourage you to make a donation to this excellent cause in exchange for taking a look at her pictures.

I was really pleased to have Simon Cox and his family join me for part of the day (very ably looked-after by my wife, Claire).  Simon has provided my racewear through his company 'get.embroidered' and I was pleased to take some of them out for a few laps (I just hope he's a little less green now...).

No comments:

Post a Comment