Monday 5 July 2010

Brands spanking new - Indy circuit Track-day

After a night at Wes' house, we both set off for a track-day at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit.  I've been a few times to Brands and think it's a great spectator circuit - but I've never driven it and was looking forward to getting my first chance.

We were lucky to arrive and get the last of the available garages which really helped - as then it started raining...  Bear in mind that my last run on a circuit was in the wet and I'd spun off in the conditions.

After a few sighting laps behind the pace car, I got the opportunity to experience Paddock Hill Bend, Druids, Grahame Hill Bend and Clearways in the damp...  And there was more grip available than I thought.  The problem is that I couldn't see ANYTHING behind me and I spent more time trying to keep out the way of cars I couldn't see than making any progress.  My confidence now completely shot - I lined up to take some instruction.

When my instructor approached the car he just pointed and said, "I'm not getting in that!"  So my instruction took place in a Seat Leon...  Despite this, I got a great idea of the best lines (and there are some places where a small change in line can make a massive difference).

After instruction, I went out and started to gain speed and confidence - and as the conditions improved, I got quicker.

The rest of the day was spent learning the track some more and eventually, I got to overtake some cars in my own right.

A great day at a great circuit.  Once the weather improved, I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment