Tuesday 20 July 2010

Race at Rockingham

We arrived early at the circuit - a few sore heads wandering around the paddock after the previous evening's 'entertainment' provided by Caterham.  One of the Academy cars had found its way into the road through the paddock as part of the larking about from the previous night.

It was the wind that became the most obvious change from Qualifying - it claimed one or two gazebos.  Thankfully, the weather stayed dry and bright.

The events of the day include the entire Caterham Motorsport ladder as well as Formula Academy for Formula Ford cars and the Metro Cup.  Sadly, the pick-up trucks pulled out so the 4th July stayed a mainly Caterham race day.

I made sure I was ready in good time - I was the first into the assembly area.  Ian (my DOPE - Director Of Precipitation Equipment) ably holding an umbrella to keep me cool from the sun watched the cars come into the paddock.  I wasn't much company at this point as I was feeling a bit nervous.  In just a few minutes time, I'd be making my way to the grid...

As I lined up on my grid position, I suddenly realised I'd never be able to find my place again, but I knew I had the Green Flag lap first.  Trying to find a white line amongst all the other possible positions led to a spot of panic - it always looks so easy on the TV.  Fortunately, I spot the 'Row 4' sign just to my left so I only need to look for that when I return.

We set off on our Green Flag lap - so called because all the marshalls wave their Green flags to show their locations around the circuit.  It was only half way round that I realised I had jumped ahead of the seventh-placed car and thoughts turned to Michael Schumacher being black-flagged for pulling ahead at the British GP a few years ago.  Amazing what goes through your mind sometimes...



Once the Red lights went out, I tried to set off calmly - only to find other cars coming past me...  A poor start aside, I immediately tried to make up for it.  I take a car into the first corner then find myself on the right side of the circuit for the next corner - where I stay on the inside and take a couple more.  Before the lap is out, I lose another place but I think I'm back to my starting place - 8th.

On the second lap, I pass Merlin (who had been leading but spins from the front) - and I continue to follow Matthew Waite.  I feel quicker than him but as I peel onto the the main straight, immediately behind him, I miss a gear - a disaster at this point of the circuit.  As you come onto the main straight, it's vital you get the gearing and traction correct - I lose out to Matthew and miss out on the chance to get a tow along the straight.



I'm soon back up behind him but do exactly the same again.  It's evident my nerves are getting the better of me despite me feeling more comfortable in the car.

A couple of laps later, Merlin passes us both (I block him once on the infield section of the circuit but there's nothing you can do about a tow along the straight).



One more missed gear ruins any chance of finally getting past Matt but I'm elated at the end - I finish as I start - in 8th.  When I get to Parc Ferme (where all cars are held until the scrutineers are happy to release them), I see my Dad, Brother and DOPE - and Claire gets to see me soon after - sadly, my Mum is working and can't see my first race.  Everyone gets a hug - and Claire in particular deserves one!  I've been grumpy for a couple of days and we've effectively run our lives round my racing for some time.  I know I'm lucky and I'm putting that here so Claire knows I realise it.

It was great to see Simon Cox and his family see me at the end of the race - their company, get.embroidered have provided me with my shirts and hats showing off my website.

The first two pictures are from Rick Wilson, the third is from Rachel Horgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment