Monday 2 August 2010

Testing times at Snetterton

As a result of our race day being moved (again) from Saturday to Sunday, we had a lot to sort out.  Getting a place to stay at short notice, in Norfolk, in the first weekend of the school summer holidays...  well, you can imagine.  Fortunately, we got somewhere but it wasn't easy.

In a small token of generosity, the BRSCC (who organised the Snetterton Race Weekend) offered everyone in the Caterham Academy two, thirty-minute test sessions.  All very good but at a cost - £125 to be exact - for an hour on the circuit.

Still, it gave me the chance to be re-acquainted with the circuit I took my car out on for the first time.  Thankfully, conditions were drier and brighter than our previous visit (where it rained during our Sprint) so I got to put several laps in.

The added bonus of being scrutineered and briefed meant two less jobs for race day.

Both sessions passed without any damage to me or my car but that's not to say it wasn't without incident.  The most significant of which was while following two other competitors into the first corner - it's quick with a dab of the brakes and a flick of the steering to get the car to the right.  It's possible to overtake but there is a significant risk of getting out of shape on the way in.  You need the other person to have some sympathy and this was clearly lacking where two cars spun right in my path.  I'm bearing down on them at up to 80mph and staring at one of the drivers as he looks out the side of his car.  Fortunately, he rolls forwards as I arrive and I pass through the middle of them.

Everything they say about aiming at the spinning car is true - it really will be gone by the time you get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment