Monday 2 August 2010

Race Day - Snetterton, Norfolk

Feeling far more relaxed than at Rockingham, and once more supported by my Wife, my Mum and my Dad, we arrive at the circuit and set up camp alongside Mike Linzey and Wes Fox.  Wes' whole family are with him and I get to catch up with his Father-in-Law, John, who I'd spoken to a few times while building my car.

Qualifying took place in the morning and with just 15 minutes to get a competitive time, every lap counts.

We start under grey skies and in the first few laps, I set a pretty good time.  A good job, too - the rain comes soon after and with half a memory of spinning off in the rain during our Sprint, I think the best lap times have been set.  In fact, the rain is affecting one end of the circuit more than the other and I lock-up at the end of the Revett Straight.  I use the escape road and see I have started a trend - a few other cars join me.

Over the next two laps, the rain stops and the track starts to dry.  I let Mike Hart pass me so I can get a couple of laps behind him in his slipstream - it's useful to have a quick driver in front of you so that you can benefit from a tow...  I pass the chequered flag and set my fastest time on my last lap!  It's good enough for 5th on the grid.

Come the race, immediately after lunch, all I think about is getting a decent start.  If I can stay with the cars in front, I can sit in their tow along the straight and join the fight.  I line up and as the red lights dim, I head off.  Not as promising as I'd hoped and my rear wheels spin - but it seems everyone ahead has done the same!  Only Blaize (up from 10th on the grid!) passes us so I'm down to 6th.  Into the second corner, it's three-across but I lose out and remain in 6th place.  Then I get a tow along the straight - and go to the outside of Mike Hart at the left-hand turn of the Esses.  I'm on the inside of Mike at the next part of the Esses and stay ahead of him through the Bomb-Hole.  Up to 5th.

Mike tries to come back past at the first corner but he's going too fast and I stay in 5th - following Jon and Blaize.  Wes has disappeared at the front and Merlin is moving away from the battle that is ultimately for 3rd place.  I watch and wait for Jon and Blaize to scrap.  I get past Jon at one point but he makes his way back in front.

Rachel Horgan with the pictures below...


Then I see the 5 minute board telling us we're in the final stages of the 15-minute race.  Next time round, I see Jon make a move alongside Blaize along the straight.  Jon's to the right and Blaize to the left.  I follow Jon and get his slipstream so gain on them both.  Hoping they won't have seen it happening, I move left and pull alongside Blaize.  Three-across into the Esses, I get ahead and stay there - I'm up to 3rd!  Two cars taken in one move.



Despite pressure from James Bishop behind, I hold third until disaster strikes coming out of the Esses for the penultimate time.  I push the throttle to the floor and it gives - it's moved past the throttle stop and jammed open!  I recognise what's happened immediately and put my foot on the clutch.  James and John pass me and I aim for a vacant marshall post.  I fear a fire so think this is the most sensible idea.  A marshall twists the kill switch and my race is over.  Up from 5th to 3rd, then out of the race with just one lap left.

A concoction of emotions: anger, frustration, despair, distress, sadness, resignation...  The marshalls cheer me up and I have a tow back to Parc Ferme where the explanations begin...

Once again, I've been supported by my Wife.  I love the fact she comes along and helps - frankly, I couldn't do it without her.  My Mum and Dad kept me fed and watered and their constant encouragement and investment is humbling.  In fact, in the program, I've put my sponsor down as 'My Wife, My Mum and My Dad'.

Videos aren't here as MSV threten to charge £25,000 for putting them on the internet.  I can't afford that.  Well done to Jonathan Palmer for everything he's done - it's a shame he's sanctioned such a rediculous restriction for people who want to share their enthusiasm for their sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment