Tuesday 19 July 2011

Zandvoort Test Day

Next round for the Caterham Roadsport Championship and we had an overseas trip to Holland.  Only 20 minutes from Amsterdam - and just by the sea - is Zandvoort.
The famous Dutch Circuit was to host a 'Caterham Eurofest' featuring Roadsport, Supersport and R300.  In addition, the Caterham Graduates' series joined us and the Dutch series had their own races (they were part of our races at Brands Hatch).

The Thursday and Friday before the race were designated Track days but I wasn't able to be there on the Thursday.  Instead, my wife, Claire, and my Mum and Dad travelled across with me from Harwich to the Hook of Holland on the Thursday day-ferry.  The 6-and-a-half hour crossing passed quickly enough - an added irony being that we lined up on the car deck behind the chap that hit me at Brands Hatch.  He barely mentioned the incident.....

On Friday morning, we were all given a briefing which suggested the Thursday had been a bit 'interesting'.  Basically, we were warned to keep it on the circuit or we'd be asked to leave...  Additionally, no instructors were permitted to take to the circuit with us.  So the instruction I'd booked took place with the instructor driving me round in a hired Opel Meriva...

The circuit is fabulous.  Undulations (in Holland!), blind crests, fast corners, slow corners - it had a bit of everything.  It also had a long straight meaning the second to last corner (the last time you'd need to brake on a lap) would be vital.  The morning was dry and having learnt the circuit in the first session, I started to feel more comfortable as I completed more laps.

In the afternoon, the rain came - in a massive downpour.  The whole circuit suffered but the last few corners were the worst.  It was so bad that I couldn't see anything.  At all.

I came in and told my Dad I couldn't see but when he started to wipe the outside of the screen, I had to explain it was the INSIDE of the screen that was causing me problems!  It was worthwhile being out in the wet and later it dried again.  With changeable conditions expected over the weekend, some wet running might prove useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment