Thursday 16 June 2011

Brands can't accomdate us all for the races!

Brands Hatch has two configurations: the Grand Prix and the Indy circuits.  The Indy circuit was our venue for the next rounds of the now-called Caterham Roadsport (we've dropped the 'B') Championship.  We were joined by members of the Dutch Caterham Motorsport series and this pushed the circuit up to its maximum capacity.  Saturday, 11th and Sunday 12th June 2011.

In a bid to ease this congestion, Qualifying would determine our positions for both races but would also allocate us to one of three groups.  The weekend would have three races with two groups racing in each with each group getting two races: ie. A vs B, B vs C, C vs A.

Qualifying was expected to be a bit congested with over 30 cars trying to find space on a circuit that's just over a mile long...

After a few laps trying to find space, I got the opportunity to get some clear laps and I managed to set my fastest time of the weekend.  Good enough for 10th fastest overall and into Group A.  This means I would start 8th and 7th in my races - both of which would be on the Sunday.

On Saturday afternoon, I got to watch my first Roadsport race without me in it!  It was bizarre to watch my friends battle with one another.  It was even more bizarre to see the families of the drivers watch the race - they worried every time their driver went past.  My wife, Mum and Dad were quick to point out what they go through when watching me race...!  My Brother John got some good pics by Druid's corner.

Come race day, the weather started dry and once again, I have a poor start.  For the first few corners, I run alongside the quick-starting Ross Macindoe.  I have to stay ahead and manage to keep him behind me as I join a group of myself, Pete Bassage and Adam White - all three of us Group A.


After 20 minutes of jostling, overtaking and making it up to 5th at one point, I finish the race crossing the line in 6th.  As I get to Parc Ferme, I'm steered towards the area usually reserved for the podium winners...  It appears that two of the leading drivers have been penalised and I'm promoted to 4th place.  A later investigation into Adam White, who has third on the podium, results in no change to the results.  I'm really pleased but know I was ahead at one point in the last lap and could have had a podium...



The second race started in the wet.  Given my wet running over the weekend (in the preceding track and test days), I'm happy about this.  I line up in 7th and start the race in 2nd gear.  Pete Bassage is just ahead of me and has a poor getaway.  I aim for the left of him but the way is blocked by another car.  I switch to the right and squeeze between him and the pit wall - there's JUST enough room and I continue along the wall.  As the wall ends, myself and Pete touch.  I save a possible spin but Pete starts to slide.  I see Paddock Hill Bend ahead and I'm free of the battle so assume I'm in the clear.....

Just then, I get a massive hit at the rear of the car - I find later that Adam White had hit me hard.  This sent me to the grass on the inside of the track and I'm heading at great speed to the barrier.  The impact is at the same place as I'd been hit and I spin along the barrier.  My race is over before the first corner.

As I pull off the circuit, I'm greeted by the friendly face of Rachel Horgan - whose pictures are in this blog entry.  A quick wave to my wife, Claire, Mum, Dad and Brother who saw the incident and I sit to watch the race finish.  A sore end to a great weekend.

Here's a video of the incident.  I'm twisting the usual Motorsport Vision rules about videos - you don't get to see much of the circuit...




The car is now in for repair and may have to be put through insurance.  DPR Motorsport are now responsible for getting my car back in shape ready for Zandvoort by the 7th July.

Yet another massive thank you to my wife, Mum, Dad and Brother John who came along in support and to help get the car sorted for the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment