Wednesday 6 April 2011

Straights, Slipstreams and Spins at Silverstone

Finally, after a winter of waiting for this weekend, we get to start racing again.  Silverstone welcomed some of the Caterham Motorsport ladder to its longest circuit configuration for a packed day of racing on the 27th March.  Us in Roadsport-B joined Roadsport-A and Supersports to race around the same circuit used by Formula One and Moto GP.  The long layout was a worry in advance of this event for two reasons: none of us had raced here before and the long, wide straights meant we'd spend our time slipstreaming each other.  This would result in high speeds and close driving but would also result in several cars across the circuit all trying to make their way into each corner on a different line...

Because of the busy weekend schedule at Silverstone, we had to have Qualifying and two races in a day - at many events this year, the schedule is over two days.

Having set up in one of the garages with several other Roadsport -B competitors, Qualifying came about quite quickly.  I had the car well prepped by my family who came along to support and as I trundled out towards the circuit, I found myself in amongst some cars I hadn't driven near before.  This is because the two Academy groups from 2010 are mixed together.  I didn't know how some of these cars were going to be driven so I was a little nervous.

The conditions were excellent and I soon found the car warming up on the track.  The problem with the circuit soon became apparent...  Cars were following each other along the straights and having to pass in order to make progress, the problem is that the next straight would result in the passed car being faster in the slipstream and coming past.

I spent a frustrating 20 minutes trying to find some space but never getting a clear lap with a decent tow for myself.

However, at the end of the session, I found I'd taken the 4th quickest time which put me on the second row on the grid.  I was really pleased with this as it meant I had an opportunity to stay with the leaders at the start.



The first race came along in no time and I was soon lining up on my grid position.  Sitting there, I get quite nervous and my heart-rate builds.  As the lights come on, I can hear other cars revving up and I question if I'm doing the right thing by not revving quite as much.  As the lights go off, and I make my start, I move away in a similar way to everyone else.  Round the first corner and I've dropped one position - not too worrying but I must stay with the lead group.



A few corners later and it's clear this is going to be hectic.  The lead has changed many times in the first lap alone and with a two and half minute lap, we won't get many during our 20 minute lap.  Silverstone is a long circuit and the lead changes with almost every corner.  I get myself up to third during the first lap but the lead group consists of about six or seven cars and everyone is jostling all the way round.

It stays like this for 15 minutes and just after the '5 minute' board comes out, I make a move for forth position in Becketts corner.  As I exit, I press the accelerator and the car slides - then spins...  Cars stream past me but I move away as soon as I can.  It feels like I'm in last place but I see cars behind me so concentrate on making some progress (I late find I'd dropped to 16th).  I have a lap and a half to restore some of the damage I'd done after my mistake and I press on, passing two cars down the last straight before the end of the lap.

I finish in 12th place.





The second race will have me starting from 12th on the grid so I realise I need to make progress quickly and cleanly to have any chance of getting a decent result.  At the start, I pass a car or two and another couple along Hanger straight.  Halfway round the first lap, and I'm up to 6th.



The battle in the lead group resumes in the same way as race one but this time I decide that I really want to finish without a mistake so I take it a bit easier - I battle with several cars but by the end I finish in a very satisfying 8th position.





I wish I could have done more to capitalise on my good grid position after qualifying but over the two races, I'm pleased with the day.  It was amazingly good fun (albeit intense) and I can't wait for Snetterton at Easter.



All pictures come from Rachel Horgan - I look forward to seeing them through the year.

I was joined during the day by Get Embroidered who continue to offer me a huge amount of support and do an excellent job in producing my racewear.

Thanks to my wife and my family for their help, love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment