Tuesday 18 May 2010

Castle Combe Exclusive Track Day

The first time the group get to take to the track together is back at Castle Combe.  The venue of our ARDS test welcomed most (as there were some absentees...) of the 2010 Pistonheads.com Caterham Academy.

A comfortable night prior to the day spent at Principal Hayley's Alexandra House - just south of Swindon - saw myself Wesley Fox and Mike Linzey join Martin ( a friend of Wes') out for a curry.  Note never to ask a  taxi driver for his favourite Indian - he'll take you to his mate/cousin/pen-pal's restaurant and it ain't always the best.

Parking arrangements were set in a 'unique' way in the hotel...


On arrival at the circuit, we were split into four groups.  I was grouped with Wes and a chap called Mike Hart - both skillful drivers with some experience in cars and karts.  Note that I was given position '10' on the list which is why I run with a number 10 on the car and not the 13 I'll be running in the races.  Initially, the sessions proved frustrating - a lot of those in the Academy have never driven on track before (except for the few laps during the ARDS) and they understandably spent more time looking ahead rather than looking behind.  Mike took control and flew past me (ignoring usual track-day etiquette) so I followed him...

Sadly, my first session didn't include me setting the video up - time was against me but the second session was excellent.  It got lonely after I'd made a silly mistake but it was very enjoyable all the same...  The video below is cropped as the last minutes of the session is just me on my own...!


Session three was equally good except I spent my time driving with Wes Fox.  Sadly, I'd removed the video and not had chance to re-attach it before going out again...  Equally frustrating is the fact that I spun during the session...  Trying to do too much in too short a time frame...

Session four is shown below...  Another drive with Wes - taking it in turns to lead...



I should point out one of the sessions during the day (again, without a video) was a greatly exciting session as I spent the entire time swapping positions with Mike Hart.  It was really enjoyable 'dicing' with Mike and greatly rewarding - particularly as I felt a huge amount of trust in his driving and I hope he did in mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment